Now that school has begun, making the time to spend a day outdoors with the whole family can be tough. Throw in extracurriculars and work schedules, and it might seems like you rarely get any time together, let alone time for outdoor activities. Your family has a lot to gain from spending time together outdoors—take advantage of this Labor Day weekend to get out there and move! If you’re not sure where to start, check out these 9 fun ways to get moving.
1) Take a hike. Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy at the top of the mountain for extra motivation to keep climbing.
2) Rent bikes and explore the city. Remember your helmets!
3) Run a local 5K. If you’re feeling especially competitive, set a prize for the person who gets the fastest time.
4) Go for a swim. Head to your local body of water—whether it’s a neighborhood pool, a lake, or the ocean—to take advantage of the remaining warm summer days.
5) Spikeball. If you haven’t heard of this awesome game, check out their website and get playing!
6) Plant a garden. Picking out what you’d like to plant is half the fun when you’re gardening.
7) Take surf lessons together. Exhausting, but well worth it!
8) Visit a roller skating rink. This retro activity is the perfect way to cool off and still keep moving on a hot summer day.
9) Go on a scavenger hunt. Walk around your city or neighborhood checking sights and activities off of your list. Team up and get ready to go!