It's well known that employees who enjoy better health are more productive and happier. They also take less time off from work due to illness. If you and your colleagues sit at desks all day during office hours, it's important to know about the health benefits a standing or adjustable desk can offer. Investing in standing desks is one way to improve your own health and the health of your fellow employees. Here are six reasons why standing desks are healthier for most people than traditional desks.
- Recent studies indicate that sitting at a desk all day can have detrimental effects on your health. These detriments include more belly fat, a higher risk of cardiovascular disease due to hypertension, increased levels of cholesterol, obesity, and other factors. If you go home and lounge on the couch or in your favorite recliner for a few hours after getting home from work each night, your risk is even higher.
- Your mental health may be poorer if you sit all day while working. Exercise boosts your mood and is one excellent form of treatment for people who suffer from mild cases of depression.
- You burn more calories standing than sitting. Depending on your body weight, you can burn anywhere from 20 to 50 more calories each hour if you stand rather than sit. If you have a standing desk accessory such as a FluidStance deck that allows you to move while standing and working, the health benefits and calorie loss are even greater. In fact, FluidStance decks have been NEAT™ certified by the Mayo Clinic, meaning that by using your FluidStance deck, you're expending 19.2% more energy than sitting and actively burning more calories.
- If you sit for long periods of time, your body is less effective at regulating the levels of glucose in your bloodstream. This puts you at a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
- You are less likely to be as lethargic after lunch or suffer from as much stress or fatigue when using a standing desk. A recent study showed that people who used a standing desk felt more energetic during the day than when they sat at a regular desk all day.
- Several studies indicate that standing more often and sitting less can increase your life expectancy. The overall benefits of a standing desk enable you to enjoy a better standard of health, and you are more likely to live longer!